Because it enables you to:
• Choose precisely how your property and possessions should be dealt with in the event of your death
• Appoint an Executor who will deal with all the necessary paperwork and procedures on your family’s behalf
• Create Trusts for your children and give directions as to who will look after them
• Give particular gifts or sums of money to specific people
• Minimise and restrict your tax liabilities, particularly inheritance tax
• Make a joint Will with your spouse or partner
If you do not make a Will the law decides how your estate should be distributed and an unmarried partner does not have the same rights to inherit as a spouse. This can have unintended consequences and the person you expected to benefit receiving nothing or having to go to court to try and establish a claim. It could also increase the cost of the administration of your estate if distant relatives have to be traced and verified.
Drafting a Will requires experience and knowledge of the law. Our expert solicitors have been writing Wills for over 35 years. Every client has his or her own individual needs or requirements and we at Fentimans place a great emphasis on ensuring that a highly personal service is given to each client whilst keeping the process as simple and inexpensive as possible.
We specialise in Discretionary Trust Wills which can provide effective protection against claims against your estate, for example care fees. Please contact us for a free guide.
• Executors do not need to attend a personal interview at the Probate Registry, everything can be handled by post
• We will be able to obtain the grant of probate more quickly than an executor making an application in person
• For larger estates, knowledge of inheritance and other taxes is required in order to complete the HM Revenue forms correctly and avoid penalties
• We do not charge until probate has been obtained and monies have been collected in and so you have no upfront costs
• We will discuss our fees with you at the beginning of the case and are certain that you will find them competitive
• All work is conducted by fully qualified and experienced solicitors
Please call the number at the top of this page or complete our enquiry form for further information.
Probate is a procedure for the Executors to obtain authority from the Probate Registry to deal with the affairs of the deceased. If someone dies without making a Will, then those who are likely to benefit from the estate or other interested parties can apply for a grant of letters of administration instead.
In either case, certain formalities have to be complied with including swearing an oath and exhibiting the Will and completing an HM Revenue form. If the estate is liable to inheritance tax, then a more detailed and complicated Revenue form is required to be completed and any tax due on assets other than real property has to be paid up front before the grant can be obtained.
Fentimans have dealt with the administration of many hundreds of estates and have developed the necessary knowledge and expertise to deal with all kinds of problems that occur during administration. Our fees are competitive and our service is comprehensive. Please do not hesitate to call for an initial discussion and estimate of fees. Executors are personally liable to sue beneficiaries if they make mistakes during the administration so employ a professional.